Posted on 10-24-2017
Frequently Asked Questions About Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care has been helping patients as a non-surgical, drug-free healing modality since the end of the 19th Century, but it can still seem mysterious to those who haven't experienced it. Let us look at the answers to some frequently asked questions about this form of treatment.
- What does "chiropractic" mean? The word is a combination of two Greek words, "cheir" and "praktos." Put together, they translate as "done by hand." Even with the advent of instrument-based techniques, manual adjustment is still the most well-known form of chiropractic care.
- What is the basic principle behind chiropractic care? Chiropractic care focuses on making adjustments to joints in the spinal column or extremities that are out of alignment. A slight dislocation of joint components is known as a subluxation.
- Why might I suffer from a spinal misalignment? Spinal misalignment is a very common problem, one that is with you from birth or is acquired through acute injuries, chronic degenerative problems or a lifetime of incorrect posture.
- How can an untreated subluxation or vertebral misalignment impact my health, comfort, and function? A body out of balance often has trouble communicating with itself properly due to compression of nerves, nerve roots, or even the spinal cord itself. A misaligned body may also be prone to strains, sprains, overuse injuries, disc problems and other ailments. Chiropractic care aims to eliminate these obstacles to your quality of life, naturally and non-invasively.
- How did chiropractic medicine get its start? Chiropractic medicine was developed by D. D. Palmer. The first chiropractic treatment, in 1895, reversed a case of longtime deafness. Ever since then, chiropractic care has continued to evolve as a treatment for an ever-widening list of health challenges.
- What should I expect during an initial chiropractic visit? Your chiropractor in Wake Forest will first perform a detailed evaluation to identify the root cause of your health issue. If chiropractic adjustment is in order and you're in acute distress, we can perform your first adjustment session immediately. High-velocity, low-amplitude force is applied to bring your joint components back into position.
- What kinds of chiropractic care do your chiropractors offer? Either chiropractor on our team can provide chiropractic methods such as Diversified, Adjuster, Drop Table, and Sacro Occipital techniques. Our techniques are safe for all ages, from infants to seniors.
- What's that popping noise, and do I need to worry about it? That popping noise, if it occurs, is called cavitation. It's simply the release of pent-up gases from a joint that's being adjusted.
- Can I expect immediate pain relief after my first chiropractic adjustment? Many patients experience significant pain relief after the first session. But your chiropractor in Wake Forest may recommend multiple sessions to ensure that you enjoy optimal benefits.
Learn More From Your Wake Forest Chiropractor!
Ready to learn more about chiropractic care? Call 919-556-0282 to talk to either Wake Forest chiropractor at Porter & Rabinowitz Chiropractic!